On Monday, 4 March 2013 at 11:04:46 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
On 03/04/2013 09:58 AM, Andrea Fontana wrote:
Maybe you can try to connect an external hardware device (e.g. arduino) and read
some params from real world... :)

Yes, there are nice options here ... :-)

However, to re-focus the discussion -- I'm not so much asking "How do I ensure my own code is statistically safe?", as there are lots of ways I can go about that. I'm concerned with the theoretical and practical justification for Phobos' existing unpredictableSeed, and possible superior alternatives that could reasonably be implemented _for Phobos_.

I found this which seems to be what Phobos duplicates
http://www.cryptosys.net/rng_algorithms_old.html

The theory appears to be no more than an ad-hoc attempt to find something unique and hard to predict across threads, processes and machines.

The superseded and improved version uses a hash of more potentially unique values
http://www.cryptosys.net/rng_algorithms.html

Clearly we're lacking a real solution, and IMO the solution should be hardware devices that come with standardized random generators.

--rt