On Friday, March 15, 2013 18:15:21 Namespace wrote:
> And it is planned to change the functionality of 'auto ref' to
> the proposed variant of Jonathan? Or was his proposal rejected?

I don't think that there was any official decision of any kind. IIRC, Kenji was
looking into at one point and didn't want to use auto ref, because that would
either mean changing it's meaning for templates (which would actually be a
problem), or make it so that templated functions couldn't use the new scheme
(which would also be a problem). I don't remember what attribute he was
proposing for it though. I'd have to go digging to find out.

Basically, someone needs to implement it and then talk Walter into accepting
it. That'll be easier for someone like Kenji, who's already a major
contributor, but in theory, anyone can do it. It's just that there's a high
risk that the pull request would languish for a while. And it would probably
need to be implemented with a name other than auto ref in order to avoid the
aforementioned problems, and having to agree on that could cause further
delay.

- Jonathan M Davis