Basically, someone needs to implement it and then talk Walter into accepting it. That'll be easier for someone like Kenji, who's already a major contributor, but in theory, anyone can do it. It's just that there's a high risk that the pull request would languish for a while. And it would probably need to be implemented with a name other than auto ref in order to avoid the aforementioned problems, and having to agree on that could cause further
delay.

I am currently working in the required part of the compiler, but I need help and other opinions. So far I've tried both: an implementation for auto ref and ref const.

 -> auto ref:
auto ref for non-template functions. In this case (as you had suggested it once) temporary variables are created for rvalues. Thus the behavior of auto ref would be different for template and non-template functions. But I do not see how that would be problematic.

 -> ref const:
const ref creates for rvalues a temporary variable that is then passed to the function. Advantage: It is like C++. Disadvantage: it could break code and you get always a const parameter.

As I said, I've tried both ways before. But I like to hear other opinions which of both would be more preferred. And I would be glad about any kind of help (looking on my code etc.). Maybe we could convince Walter and Andrei with a finished implementation. I hope that no one like to have a new syntax for this kind of thing because then we will discuss another year...