On Friday, 2 August 2013 at 05:09:14 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Friday, August 02, 2013 06:50:01 Douglas Petterson wrote:
Is there a way to convert a string to a struct, similarly to the
conversion of a struct to a custom string representation ?

The following code works fine when using format("%s",C) or
to!string(C):

     struct sCustomConv
     {
         string toString()
         {
             return "My custom representation";

     sCustomConv C;
     string MyBackup = to!string(C);

But I can't find which class operator must be overloaded (or more
simply how-to) to make this possible:

     C = to!sCustomConv(MyBackup);

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8351245/override-tot-for-used-defined-t-in-d

- Jonathan M Davis

There was a request for enhancement to provide a "fromString" for arbitrary types. The idea is that once we have that, then functions such as parse or to!S(string) will be generic, and work on mostly anything. Unfortunatly, (AFAIK), nobody is working on this.

Here is a discussion I opened:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/gzodptjyzpqnhxctb...@forum.dlang.org

...and I just noticed it ends with me saying "I'll try to write a DIP then :)" and then not doing it :/