On Friday, 2 August 2013 at 07:59:59 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Friday, August 02, 2013 08:40:51 monarch_dodra wrote:
There was a request for enhancement to provide a "fromString" for
arbitrary types. The idea is that once we have that, then
functions such as parse or to!S(string) will be generic, and work
on mostly anything. Unfortunatly, (AFAIK), nobody is working on
this.

Here is a discussion I opened:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/gzodptjyzpqnhxctb...@forum.dlang.org

...and I just noticed it ends with me saying "I'll try to write a
DIP then :)" and then not doing it :/

What's the point of fromString when a constructor will do the job just fine?

- Jonathan M Davis

Really? Because it's not generic. Unless I'm missing something, I'm sure you can appreciate that the goal is to allow:

to!S("string")
or
myFile.readf("Entry: %s", &s);

And a simple constructor doesn't (*CAN'T*) allow that.