Hi All,

I've been writing a MUD for a little while, initially using Haskell but now using C. I develop on MacOS X but deploy to a Raspberry Pi. I loved using Haskell especially using the Parsec parser but unfortunately I couldn't build on the Pi because the resource requirements were just too heavy.

Now I develop in C and the same Makefile builds on Mac and Debian equally well and of course I can use the lovely Xcode environment. However, as I start to add more advanced features it's getting rather tedious. The MUD has an embedded web server which supports web sockets for real time play and the back end is a Mongo DB. The C code to access DB is very repetitive and is slowing me down because of the lack of higher level constructs. Similarly the parser is very basic and ropey which needs attention.

Hence my interest in D. I've spent a few hours trying to get GDC working on my Pi which is proving to be a bitch but I'm hoping that it will be worth it.

Before I get too far down this path, would you recommend D for this task and will porting from Mac to Pi be seamless ?

Thanks

Andrew