francesco cattoglio:

Well, actually, sometimes squeezing as much performance as you can from a test case can be a way to find out if a given language checks all the boxes and can be used to solve your problems.

Unless you know a language well, you will fail squeezing that. This is true even in Python.

I must admit I'm shocked by the poor performance of D here. But I also know one HAS to try LDC or GDC, or those numbers are really meaningless.

Be instead amazed of the sometimes near-C++ performance levels they have pushed Java to :-) And I think D is doing well in a benchmark like this, I guess with ldc2 you can go about as fast as C++.

Bye,
bearophile