Jonathan M Davis:

Andrei suggested auto ref to fix this problem, and Walter implemented it, but he misunderstood what Andrei had meant,

I missed this detail of the story :-)

Walter has suggested that we just redefine ref itself to do what I just described rather than using auto ref or defining a new attribute. However, both Andrei and I argued with him quite a bit over that, because that makes it so that you can't tell whether a ref argument is intended to mutate what's
being passed in, or whether it's just an optimization

I think Ada was designed like that, and then have had to fix the language. So it's not a good idea.

Bye,
bearophile