On Sun, 25 May 2014 18:13:17 -0400, Rene Zwanenburg <renezwanenb...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 14:40:06 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On Sun, 25 May 2014 04:04:09 -0700, Rene Zwanenburg <renezwanenb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Given

alias GLenum = uint;
void glSomeFunction(GLenum, uint);

Now, is there some way to differentiate between GLenum and uint when using ParameterTypeTuple!glSomeFunction?

I'm writing a function which shows the arguments a GL function was called with when an error occurs. The GLenum needs to be printed as a stringified version of the constant's name, while the uint is just an uint.

An alias is simply another name for the same thing. There is no type difference.

You may be able to do some template trickery with template aliases to detect when an alias is used. But I'd recommend using enum instead of alias:

enum GLenum : uint { constant = value}

This creates a genuine new type, and also gives you a place to put constants. However, it's not implicitly castable from uint, so it has some drawbacks. You can cast back to uint implicitly though.

There is also a library typedef mechanism (in std.typecons perhaps?), you can look into that. It should have the same limitations as enum.

I'm using Derelict as OpenGL binding, so I can't change the API.Derelict has chosen not to use enum so any C code sample can be used as-is.

I get it. I don't necessarily agree with that, but it's not my library :)

I think it would be difficult to achieve without changing the actual function definition. Perhaps you could wrap the functions with your own, and use your own enum type. The enum as I defined it above, should implicitly cast to uint.

-Steve