On 2014-06-02 08:08, "Marc Schütz" <schue...@gmx.net>" wrote:
On Monday, 2 June 2014 at 06:56:54 UTC, captaindet wrote:
hi,

i stumbled upon something weird - it looks like a bug to me but
maybe it is a "feature" that is unclear to me.

so i know i can declare function and delegate pointers at module level.
for function pointers, i can initialize with a lambda.
BUT for delegates i get an error - see below

i found out that using module static this(){...} provides a
workaround, but why is this necessary?

also, if there is a good reason after all then the error message should make
more sense.

/det

ps: i know there is a shorthand syntax for this.

----
module demo;

int function(int) fn = function int(int){ return 42; };
// ok

int delegate(int) dg = delegate int(int){ return 666; };
// demo.d(6): Error: non-constant nested delegate literal expression
__dgliteral6

void main(){}

This doesn't work, because a delegate needs a context it can capture,
which is available only inside of a function.

so the real explanation is that a module as such has no context. much of the
module design has the look and feel as if it were some sort of object, so this
is a bit of a surprise to me. well, i learned something.

thanks,

det