On 2014-06-02 08:03, MrSmith wrote:
On Monday, 2 June 2014 at 06:56:54 UTC, captaindet wrote:
hi,

i stumbled upon something weird - it looks like a bug to me but maybe it is a
"feature" that is unclear to me.

so i know i can declare function and delegate pointers at module level.
for function pointers, i can initialize with a lambda.
BUT for delegates i get an error - see below

i found out that using module static this(){...} provides a workaround, but why
is this necessary?

also, if there is a good reason after all then the error message should make
more sense.

/det

ps: i know there is a shorthand syntax for this.

----
module demo;

int function(int) fn = function int(int){ return 42; };
// ok

int delegate(int) dg = delegate int(int){ return 666; };
// demo.d(6): Error: non-constant nested delegate literal expression
__dgliteral6

void main(){}

You can't assign a delegate at compile time now.
But you can do this in static constructor like this:

int delegate(int) dg;
static this()
{
dg = delegate int(int){ return 666; };
}

i knew about the static constructor, mentioned it in my OP ;)

tried it in my project proper and got run-time cycle detected between modules
ctors/dtors :(
something new to figure out now.

thanks, det