On Tuesday, 2 September 2014 at 23:20:38 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
On 09/02/2014 02:13 PM, monarch_dodra wrote:

> I'd suggest you create a range out of your std.stream.File,
which reads
> it byte by byte.

I was in the process of doing just that.

> Then, you pass it to the "byDchar()" range, which will
> auto decode those characters. If you really want to do it
"character by
> character".

I first started writing my own byDchar but then used std.utf.byDchar as you suggest. However, I had to resort to

1) Adding attributes to function calls which I know some are unsafe (see assumeHasAttribs() below). For example, I don't think getc() should be pure. (?) Also, how could all of its functions be nothrow? Is byDchar() is asking too much of its users?

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/2483