On 12/11/2014 12:31 AM, Paul wrote:

This thread has degenerated into a discussion of the set up of my OS
which is miles off topic and should probably be abandoned.

Maybe not. The trouble is that others have been able to compile and run the same code without error. Given that you are still unable to, that puts your system configuration in the spotlight. Your error with libpng points even more in that direction. If that turns out to be the culprit, it wouldn't be the first time someone has had run-time errors because of something not quite right on their system.

Without a failure that others can reproduce, there's not much for anyone to do other than make (hopefully educated) guesses. I'm happy to keep doing so until it's either resolved or I run out of ideas.