I'm trying to create a win32 window. I coped the code pretty much directly from msdn:

        MSG msg;
                BOOL bRet;
                WNDCLASS wc;

                // Register the window class for the main window.

                if (!hPrevInstance)
                {
                        wc.style = 0;
                        wc.lpfnWndProc = cast(WNDPROC)&WndProc;
                        wc.cbClsExtra = 0;
                        wc.cbWndExtra = 0;
                        wc.hInstance = hInstance;
                        //wc.hIcon = LoadIcon(cast(HINSTANCE) NULL,
IDI_APPLICATION);
                        //wc.hCursor = LoadCursor(cast(HINSTANCE) NULL,
IDC_ARROW);
                        wc.hIcon = NULL;
                        wc.hCursor = NULL;
                        wc.hbrBackground = GetStockObject(WHITE_BRUSH);
                        wc.lpszMenuName =  "MainMenu";
                        wc.lpszClassName = "MainWndClass";

                        if (!RegisterClass(&wc))
                                return FALSE;
                }

                // Create the main window.
                hwndMain = CreateWindow("MainWndClass", "Sample",

WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW, CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT,
                                                                CW_USEDEFAULT,
CW_USEDEFAULT, cast(HWND) NULL,
                                                                cast(HMENU)
NULL, hInstance, cast(LPVOID) NULL);
                if (!hwndMain)
                {
                        auto x = GetLastError();
                        return FALSE;
                }

x is 1812 = ERROR_RESOURCE_DATA_NOT_FOUND

That's about as far as I can get. (what resource data? Where I do put it? How, who, when?)