On Monday, 14 September 2015 at 00:53:58 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
Only the stack and the GC heap get scanned unless you tell the GC about memory that was allocated by malloc or some other mechanism. malloced memory won't be scanned by default. So, if you're using the GC minimally and coding in a way that doesn't involve needing to tell the GC about a bunch of malloced memory, then the GC won't have all that much to scan. And while the amount of memory that the GC has to scan does affect the speed of a collection, in general, the less memory that's been allocated by the GC, the faster a collection is.

Idiomatic D code uses the stack heavily and allocates very little on the GC heap.
So, while the fact that D's GC is less than stellar is certainly a problem, and we would definitely like to improve that, the idioms that D code typically uses seriously reduce the number of performance problems that we get.

- Jonathan M Davis

Thank you for your posts on this (and the others), Jonathan. I appreciate your taking the time to write so carefully and thoroughly, and I learn a lot from reading your work.
              • Re:... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Prudence via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Ola Fosheim Grostad via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-learn
          • Re: shared a... Kagamin via Digitalmars-d-learn
  • Re: shared array? Kagamin via Digitalmars-d-learn