On Friday, 30 October 2015 at 10:35:03 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
I'm writing a talk for codemesh on the use of D in finance.

I want to start by addressing the good reasons not to use D. (We all know what the bad ones are). I don't want to get into a discussion here on them, but just wanted to make sure I cover them so I represent the state of affairs correctly.

So far what comes to mind: heavy GUI stuff (so far user interface code is not what it could be); cases where you want to write quick one-off scripts that need to use a bunch of different libraries not yet available in D and where it doesn't make sense to wrap or port them; where you have a lot of code in another language (especially non C, non Python) and defining an interface is not so easy; where you have many inexperienced programmers and they need to be productive very quickly.

Any other thoughts?

I would advise against using D in applications where memory is essential. Idiomatic D uses a garbage collector which has a non free runtime cost.