On Thursday, 24 March 2016 at 13:38:32 UTC, Marc Schütz wrote:
Yes, it's read into your processes memory. You can use std.mmfile [1] to make things a bit more efficient. It will, too, read the data into memory, but it will do so in a way (memory mapping) that only loads what is actually accessed (everything in your case), and that allows the operating system to efficiently release and reload parts of it if memory runs low.

Unfortunately there is no example in the documentation, but it works like this (untested):

import std.mmfile;
auto file = new MmFile(inputfile);
string text = cast(string) file[];

[1] http://dlang.org/phobos/std_mmfile.html

That is very clever. Thank you for the tip and I have implemented it and it works. I feel like it is a safer way of reading a file.