On Sunday, 24 July 2016 at 07:54:11 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
On Thursday, 21 July 2016 at 13:37:30 UTC, Saurabh Das wrote:
On Thursday, 21 July 2016 at 12:42:14 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Thursday, 21 July 2016 at 09:41:27 UTC, Saurabh Das wrote:
Java 8 has a 'default' keyword that allows interfaces to provide a default implementation and sub-classes can optionally override it if needed. The rationale behind it was extending interfaces without causing old code to faill. (called "virtual extension methods" or "defender methods"). The use case is similar to above.

Is there a way to achieve an equivalent functionality in D?

Thanks,
Saurabh

What an interesting technique. I've never seen this before. Maybe a DIP is in order? I think it would be low priority relative to the current work being done, but this technique seems like a good thing to support in the language.

I first heard about this technique (or similar) in this post by Jim Nelson about the Vala language: https://blogs.gnome.org/jnelson/2011/11/01/a-few-of-my-favorite-vala-things-interface/

Antonio