imo things should be modularized.

so there should be (fast) protocol parsers first, something like

https://github.com/h2o/picohttpparser or
https://github.com/seanmonstar/httparse

then a very simple eventloop that has abstractions and range based interfaces for reading/writing data into different types of sockets.

and at this point we need to start talking about Fibers and if/how they work with the eventloop.
and how to make async code nice in D.
Rust has a new approach that looks very promising: http://aturon.github.io/blog/2016/08/11/futures/

only then we can think about making http calls, using TLS and having a webserver. as for TLS a dual approach might be needed anyway, because there people would probably want to be able to dynamically link to a system provided library such as OpenSSL.

=> in my opinion the groundwork (parsers, eventloop) etc should be DESIGNED thoroughly and we should not just take the best available library and stuff it into phobos. and there is no shame to look at Go and rust, i still think D would have a good future as Language to implement Services.