On Monday, 23 January 2017 at 12:13:30 UTC, albert-j wrote:
Well it is actually ODE solver from Numerical recipes (originally in C++) that I am trying to do in D. Code translation seems very straightforward. Maybe there's someone around who has done that already? There's not much object creation going on there, mostly loops over arrays, so I assume GC is not an issue.

It really is hard without seeing the code. When you said "from Java", my first thought was that you'd want to convert a lot of classes to structs, but you say there's not much object creation going on.

"mostly loops over arrays" makes me think of bounds checking. Try benchmarking after compiling with -boundscheck=off to see if this is responsible for your speed difference.

By the way, the original C++ code is probably closer to good D code than the Java code.

If you really want fast numerical D code, take a look at Mir and ndslice.