On Wednesday, 26 April 2017 at 17:06:52 UTC, krylon wrote:
[...]
If I understand what I have read so far correctly, it is possible to access libraries written in C or C++ from D - in that case, I could just use Tokyocabinet directly, but I have not found any pointers on how to do this. Is this a feasible option, and if so, where can I find documentation on how to do this?

I can recommend using LMDB[1] which likely does all you want.
It also has D bindings[2]. We use it in the AppStream generator with multithreaded parallelization and it is working great so far (although for the usecase of asgen it's not an ideal database choice, but one which makes deployments of the generator really simple).

I explored other solutions including Tokyokabinet and LevelDB and LMDB was by far the fastest.

Cheers,
    Matthias

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_Memory-Mapped_Database [2]: https://github.com/ximion/appstream-generator/blob/master/src/asgen/bindings/lmdb.d