On Monday, 4 December 2017 at 04:45:01 UTC, Patrick Schluter wrote:
On Monday, 4 December 2017 at 01:54:57 UTC, ketmar wrote:
Basile B. wrote:

On Sunday, 3 December 2017 at 22:22:47 UTC, Arun Chandrasekaran wrote:
Git CLI is arcane and esoteric. I've lost my commits before (yeah, my mistake).

Who hasn't ;)
me.

Happened to me last time because i tried a command supposed to remove untracked files in submodules...but used "reset" in a wrong way... ouch.

"git reflog". nothing commited is *ever* lost until you do "git gc".

Actually (and i reply to ketmar too) i've never lost commits either. What 's happened to me is that i lost non-validated stuff in the staging area b/c as you noticed otherwise it would be recoverable.

Now i use "git submodule foreach git clean -f" to clean submodules.