On Thursday, 31 May 2018 at 18:33:37 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
On 05/31/2018 09:49 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:

> Should be fairly simple to follow, just realize that the
image is a 2d
> block for each char and that's why there's all those
multiplies and
> divides.

I remember doing similar things with fonts to add Turkish characters to Digital Research and Wordperfect products (around 1989-1992). Localizing by patching compiled code was fun. :)

My happiest accomplishment was localizing Ventura Publisher "cleanly" after realizing that their language-related "resource" file was just an object file compiled from a simple C source code which had just an array of strings in it:

char * texts[] = {
    "yes",
    "no",
    // ...
};

I parsed the object file to generate C source code, translated the C source code, and finally compiled it again. Voila! Ventura Publisher in Turkish, and everything lined-up perfectly. :) Before that, one had to patch the object file to abbreviate "evet" on top of "yes", "hayır" on top of "no", etc.

Ali

Look for bdf files. This is an quite old X-windows bitmap font file format that has the big advantage of being a simple text format. So it is easy to parse and transform. There are quite some fonts existing in that format.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyph_Bitmap_Distribution_Format

I had used it in an embedded project in the 90s and it was simple enough that a 80186 based terminal could handle bitmap proportional fonts without breaking a sweat.