Before starting with D programming, most of my projects have configured their build systems with Autotools or CMake, and git for source control.

With those systems, it's usually considered best practice to store all files generated during configuration and build to be located outside of the source tree.

My usual modus operandi is:
1. check out the project into some directory "foo".
2. create another directory "foo.build", somewhere outside of "foo".
3. "cd foo.build"
4. Run some configuration script/file located in "foo", to generate "foo.build/Makefile".
5. Run "make".

I've started playing with "dub", and it *seems* to assume that you want the files generated during the build process to reside directly inside your checked-out source tree.

Is that true? And if so, am I fighting dub's design by attempting out-of-source builds?