On Sunday, 11 November 2018 at 03:57:22 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
It may be that a feature was needed to do better character escaping

Yeah, I would have preferred to just escape all of it (and axe the biggest mis"feature" ddoc has imo - embedded HTML), but it got rejected :(

On the whole, the worst features of ddoc are the ones that act least like macros. They're the ones that are most "magical" and the ones that generally have to be fought and worked around.

I have no problem with the

---
code
---

or with the

params:
 a = whatever

bit... though the stupid _highlight crap is awful, and

random:

being a header drives me a bit nuts too. So I guess I see where you're coming from.

Of course, I no longer care about ddoc, since I just did a custom doc gen.

but I don't want it doing anything that encourages people to start putting markdown in their messages, because I don't use the web interface, I don't want to have to see markdown in the middle of plain text messages any more than I want to see html.

Frankly, people already do this stuff and I don't see that changing.

When I wrote my competitor for the forum back in the day, I had it trying to auto-detect code by looking for { or ; at the end of a line, or // at the beginning. I thought it worked reasonably well, but in the end i didn't really like it because IMO highlighting code on a forum is worthless anyway.

But so many people write the --- or ``` or <code> thing that it prolly wouldn't hurt to read it too.