On Monday, 18 February 2019 at 16:32:26 UTC, belkin wrote:
Obviously I need a compiler (which one is best ).

I too am a beginner (both at programming and at D). I have been sticking to the dmd compiler (over others such as gdc or ldc) mainly because that is what the two reference books[1] I am using to learn D have been using.

But I also want an IDE and so far it seems Visual D would be a best choice.

I've been using vim as the syntax highlighting seems to work pretty well out of the box but mainly because I am not familiar with any IDEs. Personally, I find that keeping things simple at this point are probably better for the way I work and learn.

The good news is that I have found the people here to be quite friendly and helpful when you run into issues.

Good luck!
Samir