On Thursday, 10 October 2019 at 08:59:49 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

I feel that it is best to leave functional programming to functional programming language, e.g. Haskell, Scheme, etc. rather than try to do functional programming in imperative languages, e.g. Java, C++, Rust, D. The reason is things like lazy evaluation and the consistency of everything being a function, etc. The underlying computational models of functional programming languages and imperative programming languages need different mindsets to use well. Witness the issues in using Scala.

My impressions is that the complaints about Scala are similar to C++: too many features that clash with one another and make the language complicated, plus extremely slow compilation times. I haven't seen a lot of complaints about mixing imperative and functional.