Toward the end of Walter's recent talk, D at 20, he says something to the effect that optimizations are disabled when exceptions can be thrown. We have a compressible flow solver in which it is very convenient to be able to throw an exception from deep within the code and catch it at a relatively high level where we can partially recover and continue the calculation. Because our calculations can run for days across hundreds of processors, we also care about letting the optimizer do its best. In what parts of our program would the optimizer be disabled because of the presence of the exception and its handling code? How do we tell?