Walter Bright wrote:
Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Michel Fortin wrote:
On 2009-01-10 00:10:11 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> said:

The problem is identifying if this would be faster than recomputing the return value.

I used memoizers for exp and log (the most called functions in some code I wrote) and it made the original version feel like it was driving in reverse.

That's only true because, in your specific context, those functions were called often with the same input. In a program that rarely use the same inputs, your memoizing functions will just waste time and memory.

No, because I use interpolation.

That's way beyond the ability of a compiler to do automatically. The compiler would have to understand that the pure function produces continuous results.

You're replying to the wrong guy. I'm saying: the compiler shouldn't have to do so, but it should allow functions to do it.

Lately it looks like a lot of the problems discussed here inevitably lead to a built-in feature. We want properties, let's have a property thingy. We want memoization, let's have a memoize thingy. We want optimally aligned structures, let's have an optimal align thingy. I'm holding my breath for a request for the kitchen sink thingy.