On 2009-01-18 21:29:02 -0500, bearophile <bearophileh...@lycos.com> said:

I think pluggable type systems will become more common in the following years (see also the optional annotations of Python3 that are designed for that too). This is more or less related:

http://bartoszmilewski.wordpress.com/2009/01/18/java-pluggable-types/

Nice post.

(but nonnullability is so basic that it's better inside the language, and not left out to a plug-in type system).

I agree for non-nullability.

In fact, I'd even argue that non-nullability should be the default for pointers and class references, because it is either safer (if the compiler doesn't do the null check for you) or less troublesome to use (if the compiler forces you to check for null everytime). Another reason being consistency: value-types can't be null by default and so should be class references and pointers. And making pointers non-nullable by default can only be done at the language level, so obviously it's better in the language than as a user-defined type modifier.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.for...@michelf.com