Robert Jacques wrote:
Also, the x.y.z = 10 not doing anything when y is a struct from your other post is a well known issue is all languages that have POD struct (As far as I know). The solution is to move x.y to a ref return property. Moving from POD members to functions in order to support more complex logic is the primary motivation of properties.

This has given me some trouble in C#. As a result, anything complicated in my company's product (anything that is difficult to initialize with all the proper fields) is a class, and anything remaining that is a struct has only read-only properties.