Nick Sabalausky wrote:
Anyone know of a reliable, reasonably-priced web host that...and here's the key part...actually understands even the most basic security concepts?

... snip

Not really, no. In which country?

I have some suggestions if you can live with out a control panel and therefore want to do a bit of DIY:-

Firstly there is freeshell.org (US) Which has charity status, and so you can't really do any commercial things with it. You get a shell account on netbsd, and they like a donation now and then, but it's sort of optional.

In the UK there is bytemark hosting, starting at ~150 GBP (per year) for user mode linux. I believe bytemark to be competent.

xtrahost for a slightly more, but with xen virtualisation and they offer windows, too.

I think both the above offer some sort of plesk control panel, but that may only be for domain management.