Joel C. Salomon wrote:
Walter Bright wrote:
I've attempted to use locales, but the reason I'd always wind up doing
it by hand is because the existing libraries to do it are obtuse,
impenetrable, execrable, and pretty much unusable.

So it may be that it's an insoluble problem, or maybe nobody has come up
with the right abstraction yet. I don't have nearly enough experience
with it to know the answer.

Sounds like it’s not yet suitable for D2, then, at least not in std.
Perhaps put an experimental interface in ext?

Good idea. But before we do so, I was hoping I'd pick the brains of people who have used locales in other languages and understand the burning points. Somehow, however, I'm doing a lousy job at eliciting contributions from people on this newsgroup (guess I'd be a lousy salesman). I tried a couple of times and all I got was a few new keyword proposals and a few new syntax proposals :o). What am I doing wrong?