On 2009-03-02 08:32:40 -0500, Leandro Lucarella <llu...@gmail.com> said:

I'm not following this thread carefully and I don't know if this is what
you are implying, but: Please don't you even think in duplicating the
locale stuff, at least on unix there is a very nice database that needs to
be updated sometimes very often (due to stupid presidents like the one
I have now that changes the summer saving time all the time).

PHP for example maintains a copy of this locale data and is a real PITA.

I do agree.

In another post I proposed we create formatter classes for numbers and dates. This way, you can use a formatter binding to the UNIX database and APIs, or the Windows APIs, or Cocoa, etc., or you can build your own. All you need is a generic front end formatter interface you can bind to anything (and a common internal representation for dates) something like:

        interface DateFormatter
        {
                string timestampToString(int timestamp);
                int stringToTimestamp(string date);
        }

        DateFormatter defaultDateFormatter();
        DateFormatter dateFormatterForLocale(string localeName);

        interface NumberFormatter
        {
                string intToString(int number);
                int stringToInt(string number);
        }

        NumberFormatter defaultNumberFormatter();
        NumberFormatter numberFormatterForLocale(string localeName);

--
Michel Fortin
michel.for...@michelf.com