On Wednesday, 7 November 2012 at 02:45:15 UTC, martin wrote:
Please discard option 1, I'm afraid it creates too much confusion and was not well thought through. The objective was to expand 'auto ref T' to either 'in ref T' for lvalues or 'in T' for rvalues (I.e., only for const parameters!), but then its caption would be horribly misleading (and something like 'in auto ref' would be way too ambiguous).

Maybe a very simple change/addition; Like perhaps @ref? (Attribute ref, Alternate ref, auto ref.. All sorta fit for it's meaning).

 So...

 void func1(ref int x);  //D lvalue-only ref
 void func2(@ref int x); //works like c++'s ref

Seems fairly easy to tell apart, and still leaves const-ness as an option.