On Thursday, 8 November 2012 at 20:15:51 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
The scope. It's all about getting the correct scope, destructor call and you know, the works. Preferably it can inject it inside temporary scope.

typeof(foo(...)) r = void;
{
someRef = SomeResource(x, y, ..);
r = foo(someRef); // should in fact construct in place not assign
}

I suspect this is hackable to be more clean inside of the compiler but not in terms of a re-write.

Right, I forgot the scope for a moment. I'd illustrate the rvalue => (const) ref binding to a novice language user as follows:

T   const_foo(  in ref int x);
T mutable_foo(auto ref int x);

int bar() { return 5; }

T result;

result = const_foo(bar());
/* expanded to:
{
    immutable int tmp = bar(); // avoidable for literals
    result = const_foo(tmp);
} // destruction of tmp
*/

result = mutable_foo(bar());
/* expanded to:
{
    int tmp = bar();
    result = mutable_foo(tmp);
} // destruction of tmp
*/

I'd rather restrict it to 'auto ref' thingie. Though 'in auto ref' sounds outright silly. Simply put const ref implies that callee can save a pointer to it somewhere (it's l-value). The same risk is with 'auto ref' but at least there an explicitly written 'disclaimer' by the author of accepting temporary stuff.

'in ref' as opposed to 'const ref' should disallow this escaping issue we've already tackled in this thread, but I'm not sure if it is already/correctly implemented. Anyway, this issue also arises with (short-lived) local lvalues at the caller site:

foreach (i; 0 .. 10)
{
    int scopedLvalue = i + 2;
    foo(scopedLvalue); // passed by ref
} // scopedLvalue is gone

In the ideal world name 'auto ref' would be shorter, logical and more to the point but we have what we have.

+1, but I don't have a better proposal anyway. ;)

I think that function plucked with auto ref is a enough indication that author is fine with passing to it mutable r-values and not seeing changes outside and related blah-blah.

Agreed.

Also certain stuff can't be properly bitwise const because of C-calls and what not. Logical const is the correct term but in the D world it's simply mutable.

As you know, I'd definitely allow rvalues to be bound to const ref parameters as alternative (that would also be useful for a lot of existing code). People who generally don't use const (Timon Gehr? :)) are free to only use 'auto ref', I'm most likely only going to use 'in ref', and there will certainly be people using both. Sounds like a really good compromise to me.

I'd say that even for templates the speed argument is mostly defeated by the bloat argument. But that's probably only me.

I haven't performed any benchmarks, but I tend to agree with you, especially since multiple 'auto ref' parameters lead to exponential bloating. I could definitely do without a special role for templates, which would further simplify things considerably. If performance is really that critical, an explicit pass-by-value (move) overload for rvalues ought to be enough flexibility imo.