hasen wrote:
Walter Bright wrote:
Jesse Phillips wrote:
It looks to me that Walter's points aren't about convincing people to use it, but to show that you are using it, that there are customers.

That's right. It's called "social proof". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Proof

Apple, for example, uses social proof as the central theme in its marketing campaigns.

Back in the 1970's, Dr. Pepper hilariously used social proof in their oxymoronic campaign "join the non-conformists!"

Social proof eh? hmm interesting. That's why I decided to learn vim, not because I felt or thought I needed to, but because it *seemed* that /real/ programmers use vim. You know what I mean?

Absolutely. Some of the best dating advice I've ever got: just be yourself.

No, I was kidding :o). It was: be seen with women. It's social proof.