On Friday, 16 November 2012 at 01:02:59 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Thursday, November 15, 2012 17:18:43 foobar wrote:
I thought that Haskell doesn't have function overloading (which
simplifies this greatly)... Anyway, I mostly meant "standard"
imperative/OO languages. Sorry for the confusion.

It has pattern matching (which typically results in several of the same function with slightly different arguments, but the overall types are still the same). I'm unaware of it having full-on function overloading. But I don't
think that I've ever tried it.

- Jonathan M Davis

This article describes return type overloading in Haskell by way of a clear example. It concludes demonstrating a real-world implementation of the concept.

http://matthewmanela.com/blog/return-type-overloading-in-haskell/

I'm not well versed in Haskell (first look ever), so I'm not sure, but it does seem to look like true return type overloading.

I also read an article that described Perl's overloading on return type, but this is less like the overloading we've been talking about, and more like a function being able to inspect the call context to decide what type should be returned.

--rt