On Tuesday, 20 November 2012 at 19:06:22 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
Given the fact that this subject is extremely devisive, I suspect that the best that we can hope for at this point is for lax property enforcement

@property shouldn't be about enforcement. This is the fundamental flaw in the -property switch. While I think you and I are talking about the same goal, this is an important distinction to make: the fix isn't syntax. It is a semantic rewrite.

After referencing a property is rewritten to be a call, the syntax will just work:

@property int foo() {}

int a = foo(); // the error here is NOT "you must not use () on properties". It is "type int is not callable"

This is something that's bothered me about the @property debate since day one: we spend all this time talking about syntax.... but that's a side effect, not the core question.