eskimo:

Even the unstable branch should stop adding new features let's say at least three months before the next stable release, so all things in stable have been tested at least a certain minimum amount of time in unstable. (People can still work on new features, but only in separate feature branches, which will not be part of the next stable release.)

Maybe there are alternative ways to do this.

But generally I agree with your post and I suggest to make a little DEP out of it, or to copy your post somewhere in the Wiki, to make it the starting point (to be improved, where necessary) document for the future D development process.

Bye,
bearophile