On 11/28/2012 06:50 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 06:31:45PM -0600, 1100110 wrote:
[...]
Oh! while I have your attention...  Looking at the makefiles for
DMD, all of them are set to build 32bit by default.  Usually that is
unset, and the environment that you are compiling in dictates which
one is implicitly chosen.

Why have it set to build 32 by default?  It's not an issue or
anything, but it's been a long time since I've had a setup capable
of build  32bit apps easily.  I always have to change that.  Is
there any particular reason that that option is set rather than
unset?

Rarely known fact: you can invoke make like this:

        make -f posix.mak MODEL=64

There is no need to change the environment.

(I don't know about Windows make, but I suspect something similar, if
not the same, is possible.)

I know, I just have a bad habit of digging through makefiles and such before Ill run them. When its literally right under the cursor its just easier to edit it. I was really just curious why it wasn't left undefined.

It *seems* to be building fine without that option defined, and with the way Linux is going I simply cannot believe that I'm the only one for whom that messes up a default build.