On 12/12/2012 03:45 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
On 12/11/2012 5:05 PM, bearophile wrote:
Walter Bright:

ML has been around for 30-40 years, and has failed to catch on.

OcaML, Haskell, F#, and so on are all languages derived more or less
directly
from ML, that share many of its ideas. Has Haskell caught on? :-)

Haskell is the language that everyone loves to learn and talk about, and
few actually use.

And it's significantly slower than D,

(Sufficiently sane) languages are not slow or fast and I think the factor GHC/DMD cannot be more than about 2 or 3 for roughly equivalently written imperative code.

Furthermore no D implementation has any kind of useful performance for lazy functional style D code.

In some ways, D is very significantly slower than Haskell. The compilers optimize specific coding styles better than others.

in unfixable ways.

I disagree. That is certainly fixable. It is a mere QOI issue.