On Tuesday, 11 December 2012 at 23:59:29 UTC, bearophile wrote:

-snip-

But as usual you have to take such comparisons cum grano salis, because there are a lot more people working on the GHC compiler and because the Shootout Haskell solutions are quite un-idiomatic (you can see it also from the Shootout site itself, taking a look at the length of the solutions) and they come from several years of maniac-level discussions (they have patched the Haskell compiler and its library several times to improve the results of those benchmarks):

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Shootout

I looked at that haskellwiki page but I didn't find anything to suggest -- "they have patched the Haskell compiler and its library several times to improve the results of those benchmarks"?

Was it something the compiler writers told you?