On Sunday, 16 December 2012 at 20:08:11 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2012-12-16 20:04, Jesse Phillips wrote:

I see it unreasonable to maintain every release. If we need to make a special "maintenance" release then we directly handle the issue being
requested instead of providing every fix applicable.

We could say that we support X number of older releases.

That was my Y.

A patch should be created off the oldest supported version. If Y is 5 then that means checking 5 releases to decided where to create the patch from. The current suggestion makes Y at most 3 and generally 2.

What is being requested is to back port a patch for customer using version Z, even if Z is 2.34. It is a special case and the driving force could be any number of reasons. The age is not really important, but the point is the community officially dropped support but someone made a compelling argument to bring that support back.