On Sunday, 16 December 2012 at 18:37:48 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

The prevalent use of the feature would be that a bug in a future release is back-patched onto an older release.

Andrei

The issue I see is we will have X releases. A bug is fixed, do we now apply it to all X or only Y releases?

I see it unreasonable to maintain every release. If we need to make a special "maintenance" release then we directly handle the issue being requested instead of providing every fix applicable.

Branches work when needing to handle continuous support, but tags are the perfect lite weight solution when you'll have to handle one off support. It can be done right now, but I don't know what version you'd release 2.57 + 1 as.