On Tuesday, 18 December 2012 at 00:48:40 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

Wow, I think that's exactly what we could use! It serves multiple optional use
cases all at once!

Was there a technical reason for you not getting around towards implementing, or
just a lack of time?

There always seemed something more important to be doing, and Andrei thought it would be better to put such a capability in rdmd rather than dmd.

This is inconsistent with D's design - providing useful features built-in (docs generator, testing, profiling, etc). More over, it breaks encapsulation. This means the compiler exposes an inferior format that will later be wrapped around by a more capable packaging format, thus exposing the implementation details and adding an external dependency on that inferior format. Besides, the other compilers merge in the same front-end code so they'll gain the same feature anyway. There's no gain in separating it out to rdmd.

The main question is if you approve the concept and willing to put it on the to-do list? I'm sure that if you endorse this feature someone else will come in and implement it.