On Monday, 17 December 2012 at 21:47:36 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

There is no substantive difference between bytecode and source code, as I've been trying to explain. It is not superior in any way, (other than being shorter, and hence less costly to transmit over the internet).

I mentioned in a previous post that we should perhaps focus on making the .di concept more efficient rather than focus on obfuscation.

Shorter file sizes is a potential use case, and you could even allow a distributor of byte code to optionally supply in compressed form that is automatically uncompressed when compiling, although as a trade off that would add on a small compilation performance hit.

--rt