On Wednesday, 19 December 2012 at 06:31:04 UTC, Rob T wrote:
Perhaps there is resistance to changing from the current "snapshot" process which tends to produce meaningless buggy/breaking releases, to one that is a "feature" based release.

I don not see a greater correlation between snapshot releases and buggy/breaking any more than a feature based release being buggy/breaking.

To facilitate feature releases a plan for what/how many features will make a release. I'm not against having these, only against requiring it for a release.

Having it based on "important" or "enough" changes is subjective and the small things can be very important to someone. And even with just bugs, how many make for a good release/revision (we have way to many names that all seem to mean something different to everyone)?

I will agree though, if there isn't anything worth releasing, don't release it. But my threshold for 'worth' is much lower than yours.

I'd also say it has little to do with new "features" as it is about completing features and disruptive bugs. I'd think the supported/stable/lts/somethingsomething would be open to Phobos additions, but I'm not too concerned as things can be changed.