On Monday, 24 December 2012 at 02:17:51 UTC, evilrat wrote:
On Sunday, 23 December 2012 at 21:03:40 UTC, Chris wrote:
There exist some GUI Toolkits for D, however, they are more or less all based on bindings to native toolkits.

Is anyone working on or are there plans to develop a pure Swing-like GUI Framework for D? While bindings have the advantage of using native widgets, they tend to lack behind as native widgets toolkits evolve and improve from version to version. Also, the full use of native features is not always easily accomplished (cf. SWT/JFace). A self-contained framework (like Swing) that could be extended as needed by a small set of native bindings - to implement os specific tasks - might be worth looking into.

D would have the benefit of hindsight in avoiding mistakes made in other GUI toolkits (such as Swing and SWT/JFace), and while this may sound like reinventing the wheel, catering for cross-platform bindings (Windows, Linux and OS X) is an endless race, and might not be real cross-platform after all, because either a whole platform is not (yet) catered for (cf. DWT), or some features are not yet implemented for one platform or another.

Programmers have to make practical decisions and from my own experience I know that nothing is worse than betting on the wrong horse, and at present I could not decide on a GUI toolkit for D.

Your comments and advice are more than welcome.

did you remember c++ lesson with qt? no, qt is good framework but in fact its better when used your custom styles(imho), native look and feel sometimes is just crappy, and custom cross platform look'n'feel for your professional oriented stuff is another plus, it instantly becomes recognizable and users don't need to adapt to version on another system.

sorry if it still unclear, i'm not against bindings to native ui i'm just trying to say it is good for simple stuff only and only when ur program targeting one system(again, imho).

I agree. If it gets a bit more sophisticated, it can be quite annoying when using bindings.

so i think HTML/JS is the really(but not only, yes) crossplatform(phones, set top boxes, pc's, just about everywhere...), fast, cost effecient(the only tool you need to start develop is text editor and browser with developer tools, almost all if not any has such tools, there is lot of designers and JS programmers, and so on) and modern UI, so you can take a look at my recent project - http://forum.dlang.org/thread/azrwqdorulvwhjcmm...@forum.dlang.org though it still in alpha

sorry if that's not what you expect for gui framework stuff such as gtk or qt.

I'd prefer a fully-fledged pure D solution for desktop apps. With D's ability to integrate C code native extensions should be manageable. But the framework should be self-contained like Swing. With extensions I mean things like using a Mac menu bar, use system services etc but the widgets should be D's own.

However, I also like HTML/JS solutions but am not sure whether they can replace a real GUI framework like Cocoa or Swing. JS is at times cumbersome to use for user interfaces.