On 1/3/2013 3:59 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2013-01-03 01:58, Walter Bright wrote:
2. The:

    git checkout staging
    git merge master

It merges master into staging, wiping out my changes in staging, and
does not delete staging. Now that the release is done, we're done with
staging. What is needed is the ability to merge from staging to master
all commits in staging that occurred after it branched off from master.

I did this by going through the git commit history and cherry-picking
one by one. There's got to be better way.

Can't you just merge staging into master?

And won't that remove the commits that are in master but not in staging?

3. There is no mention of where and when the:

    git push

and:

    git pull

Reading "Release a new version of D", I would say that after you run "git
checkout staging" you need to make sure that you're local changes the the
upstream changes are in sync. That can mean that you need to both run "git push"
and "git pull".

After that the tag needs to be pushed. If you then also merges master into
staging that should be pushed as well.

I know there need to be push's and pull's. The question is the sequence, and the actual commands, like push origin or just push.

The trouble is the wiki lists a sequence of commands, but assumes the user realizes that there are a bunch of other commands that need to be interleaved.

Imagine it's a script. Steps cannot be skipped :-)